Items matching "network resource conflict"
- Niger Delta rebels ratchet up oil-related violence | LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) -- Nigeria's main militant group said Wednesday that it had destroyed an oil-pumping station and a pipeline crossing southern Nigeria in a rare daylight attack extending violence in the restive region into its fifth day. (CNN.com) | 2008--0-9-
- Middle East water crisis warning | Governments in the Middle East and North Africa need to invest now if they want to avoid severe water shortages in the future, the World Bank has warned.
The amount of water available per person in the arid region will halve by 2050, a report from the bank estimates.
It blames climate change and population growth for new pressures on supplies.
Governments in the region should tackle water waste, build more efficient networks and reduce water use, the World Bank says. (BBC) | 2008--0-4-
- Brazil Announces Size of Tupi Oil Field | The sudden November 8 announcement of the size of the Tupi oil field has pushed Brazil into a delicate and potentially powerful economic and political position in the Americas. The oil field is supposedly large enough to make Brazil a liable rival to Venezuela and some smaller Arab countries, garnering the interests of Venezuela and, particularly, the U.S. | 2007--1-2-
- Conflict Diamonds | Although this article is from 2001, it shows how conflict diamonds are a key factor in resource conflict. | 2006--1-0-
- Diamond Trade Fuels Bloody Wars | | 2006--1-0-